Have you always wanted to make your own cards? These easy stencilled whale cards are so simple to make and look effective too! Both kids and grown up kids will love making these easy cards!
You can make these cute whales with a few simple materials. Try using our free whale template – or design one of your own!
Smaller children will love getting stuck in with the sponge printing. Older kids can help with cutting the template, or draw their own design.
Thin card works well for the stencil – just print the template straight onto it and cut out. This will last a few uses. If you would like a longer lasting stencil you can use thicker card, plastic, or a polystyrene sheet.
You can stencil directly onto each card, or try printing onto a smaller piece of card and mounting onto a contrasting colour.
For the sponge painting, you can use a regular household sponge cut into pieces, or any other type of sponge you like. I think sponge painting the whales gives them a lovely ocean effect!
You will need:
- Card – to make your stencil
- Thin white card – for the cards
- Blue paint – we used washable kids paint
- Masking tape
- Glue – if mounting on a different colour
- Newspaper or kitchen towel – for blotting
To make the cards:
1. Print or draw your whale stencil onto a sheet of card.
2. Cut out the whale shape from the centre of the card.
3. Fold a sheet of white A4 card in half.
4. Place the stencil on top of the white card. The stencil should line up with the card.
5. Gently tape into place on the working surface with masking tape.
6. Pour some paint onto a plate.
7. Dip the sponge into the paint.
8. Dab off excess paint onto newspaper or kitchen towel.
9. Sponge gently over the stencil.
10. Carefully remove the stencil.
11. Repeat for other cards.
12. Allow the cards to dry and then add a face to each card with the fine felt pen. Write messages on the front of and inside the cards!
Little M had a whale of a time making these. See, what I did there? Ha ha! We used our cards for thank you notes. What will you use them for?
Like this post? Pin me!
Disclosure: Affiliates links are included for your convenience. If you choose to buy through one of these links, I make a small commission. The price is the same. Thanks for your support!
Little Fish email members receive exclusive activities and ideas, as well as blog updates.
I know your time is precious, you’ll hear from me no more than once a week. I look forward to having you in the Little Fish Family!